Poll: Which previous edition was the best one?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Arcanum 1st Edition (Bard Games)
0%
0 0%
Arcanum 2nd Edition (Bard Games)
100.00%
4 100.00%
Arcanum 3rd Edition (Death's Head Games)
0%
0 0%
Some other edition I am not thinking of right now...
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which previous edition was best? Why?
Of the initial releases of the Arcanum, we had some great stuff. And those editions are very much alike.

But is there a previous edition that is your favorite? Why is that one special to you?
-- K. David Ladage
I have voted (seems only fair). My favorite was 2nd Edition as this was the one I first discovered.

This was after the whole Dallas Egbert ordeal and the "D&D is a tool of the devil" fiasco that was fueled by things such as Chick Publications (look up 'Dark Dungeons' sometime). So I walk into a game store and I see this RPG book with a black cover emblazoned with a giant red pentagram. My first reaction was "gotta get me some of that!"

And it was -- and remains -- an amazing book. I loved it at first sight. And so, many years later, I purchased the rights. Because this is a book that should never die.
-- K. David Ladage
2nd was the version I bought back in the mid 80s. I acquired the 1st edition in the 90s and the 3rd edition a couple of years ago. I'm waiting for my copy of the anniversary edition to arrive. I can't do a fair comparison until it does.
Second edition is my favorite, but I think because of the "lived-in" look it had with the formatting and artwork.  Though, I do like how 30th has a damage boost for combat skills, it wasn't that big of a deal for me.   I also liked the feel for the magic system. 

Not to downplay 30th, 2nd has teh advantage of having nostalgia.
(12-25-2019, 05:20 PM)Thkaal Wrote: Second edition is my favorite, but I think because of the "lived-in" look it had with the formatting and artwork.  Though, I do like how 30th has a damage boost for combat skills, it wasn't that big of a deal for me.   I also liked the feel for the magic system. 

Not to downplay 30th, 2nd has teh advantage of having nostalgia.

Yes... the sheer level of nostalgia that the 2nd edition has for me is amazing. So I wholeheartedly agree.

Smile
-- K. David Ladage
2E. I've had them all and they're all great, but 2E was the first I was exposed to. So. Yeah...Nostalgia.
Just curious... there were some things added into the system (e.g., the Selkie, the Wish rules, etc.).

Do you have a favorite thing that Death's Edge Games added to the game? Is there something they added that you think was a mistake to include? Just curious.
-- K. David Ladage